Machines: The Game
-
2023 Edit: Machines Community Edition
The source code for Machines has been released, and a community build is available that modernizes many aspects of the game!
See this post for more information: https://wiredforwar.org/topic/167/announcing-community-patch-1-5-godsend/43
Resources the original game assets can still be found below.
Original Game Resources
The original game is available for download here:
- Machines Disk 1 ISO
- Machines Disk 2 ISO
- Zipped Machines Install Directory
- d3drm.dll (if file is missing on your system)
- Machines XP Patch
Installation
After you've downloaded the files above to your PC, you can follow these instructions to complete the installation process.
- Extract Machines.zip to a directory on your PC.
- Mount the disk 2 virtual image
Machines Disk 2.iso
. If you are running Windows 8.1 or above, you can simply double click the file to mount the disk image. Otherwise, you may need to use a program such as MagicDisc or Daemon Tools. - Play the game!
Note: If you receive an error about
d3drm.dll
missing, simply download the missing .dll file above and place it in your Machines directory.Additional Files
If you're an absolute pro, you might find these useful.
-
Cheers pal, I'm a huge fan of the game, I've loved it since I was little, shame they didn't make any future sequels, I know with Dungeon Keeper they recent made a more modern game called "Battle for the Overworld" or something like that, it is a shame that Machines doesn't get something of the sort
-
@Syjinx Oh, hello there! Welcome to the forums!
-
Why thank you :)
-
It's lagging so much to me. Some people said you have to install Win XP patch for Machines, but all the links are broken on the internet. Does anyone have that patch to upload here?
-
@Byrgius
http://www.machinesthegame.co.uk/ (press H)
http://web.archive.org/web/20020806105904/http://www.acclaim.com/games/machines/demo/downloads.html
I'm not sure if they work. In my case I didn't use any patch and it works perfectly (although it has no music). -
@Byrgius
Added XP patch to first post. -
Hi
I down loaded Machines and installed the XP patch but get the d3drm.dll missing file, I down loaded d3drm.dll and I get a message saying that I do not have the default programme to use it, does any one know what the default is and where to get one? -
Hi~!!!
Someone found this for me randomly after asking questions about old games and I am SO excited about getting to play this game again I rushed here, downloaded everything and tried so hard to make it work- twice.
I have failed the simple instructions, I have no real idea what I'm doing, it all seemed so simple but alas the game won't even launch. Instead it brings up an error from what appears to be a file in a folder.
It comes up: C\Program Files (x86) \Acclaim Entertainment\Machines\machines .exe.
and obviously I click ok and nothing happens cries.
I'm using Windows 7 if that helps.
-
@ReaperKid88 You need to apply the Windows XP patch. You can download it in the first post.
-
@ReaperKid88 Weird, when I downloaded the game on my Win7 'nother time I didn't need to do anything but to mount Disc 2 and play Machines.
http://wiredforwar.org/topic/2/how-to-get-up-and-running - I've downloaded it from here
By the way, welcome to the forums!
-
Sorry for asking this but is it legal to download Machines game from here?
-
@gabre
Technically no, but it's abandonware since devs/publisher do not maintain it. The only other way to get the game would be to acquire the disks from someone else. -
So I managed to get it running, Menu's aside it runs smooth. However, ingame, random artifact (looks like a broken LCD screen) appear all the time.... Fiddling with zoom did help some, but only when standing still... When I move around it gets borked again. Sigh... I fucking hate windows 8.1
I guess imma gonna hafta dust off my old PC. Wonder if it still runs?
-
So I have tried that Voodoo2 trick and it works like a charm :) Been playing a couple of levels.
The itch to make an improved version of our beloved game starts to come back again xDUnfortunatly the forum seems rather... quiet at the moment?
-
@TheOriginalFoxx It's just that everyone's busy.
Discounting me, I am just lazy!yay.gorilla
-
We need lazy people :)
They make the hard working folks look good!Anyhow.... Im probably useless in the development of the new version.
I could try voice acting maybe? And some artsy stuff? hahah Or I will just leave it to the young ones... -
@TheOriginalFoxx Oh yeah! You can do the voice-actin', man. We'll appreciate it.
By the way, I might try doing so, too!yay.gorilla
-
Thanks so much for making this game available, I have spent to much of my free time scouring the Internets for this game. This was my first RTS game I ever played, I did see some comments about audio not working? Does audio work for anyone else?
-
@hungy69 I haven't heard of the sound effects not working for anyone, but the music does not play for me unless I keep my physical disc 1 inside of the disc drive.