Original Forum founder is back!
-
Hi, I'm spazzpp2.
I originally founded the forum for this game. Some kind of BBS on a free PHP server. :)
Back then, Hayden had been one of the first users who registered. Nice to see, that this one is still running.How about a brief update? How is OpenMachines going? How to register for the slack?
-
@spazzpp2 Nice to meet you!
So far there isn't much activity. We offer assistance to anyone who wants to play the game on newer operating systems, and also post other things such as old promotional material, concepts for a new game, etc. Even the one who made the soundtrack visited us!
Here is a drawing to celebrate your return!
-
Hello, nobody is currently actively working on OpenMachines; it was started with the expectation of multiple devs, but people interested in working on it would "disappear" without much notice.
That said, I'd be happy to work on it with others during free time.
As for the Slack, it's apparently required for admins to invite people (at least for the free version). I changed the settings so that anyone registered can invite people, so you would need to send your email to someone who is already registered on it, such as myself.
Welcome back!
EDIT: Here's the GitHub page for OpenMachines for future reference.
-
Hi spazzpp2, welcome back! I dunno why I never mentioned sooner, but I'm proficient in Unity Engine and have made significant progress on an RTS based on how Machines works. And bilal I felt the same way about OpenMachines, I had some interest in making models for the project but that fizzled after a few, as the project died. Nowadays I usually just check up on the forum occasionally.
The nice thing about a game as Machines though is that by modern game development standards it's not too tough to build. And we have all the original assets for use, including (I hear anyways) all the 3d models? (although even if that's true, that doesn't necessarily include a fair amount of animations) Mostly a matter of no one being interested in such a project.
-
I think the main obstacle was that it was in c++. (which sucks tbh)
(I'm actually learning c++ but I prefer python on so many levels)
-
@nainnad
I wouldn't agree; I think it's more of most people have stuff going on.That said, I don't think it's a good idea to use C++ for a game project no matter the skill level since many would agree that any performance upgrade over C# is usually not worth the added dev time. The only reason I would use it is to take advantage of the professional grade assets given free from Unreal Engine.
Personally, I use C#/Unity for just about every project (I do full time gamedev), and in retrospect it would have made more sense to start the project in Unity since lots of beginners would likely be interested in contributing however possible, and Unity makes that easier than UE4. One of my current projects is actually an RTS in Unity.
The only reason I'm not right now working hard on OM is because I don't have time to do much more than management and doing code checks/tests. I'd be happy to run or help with the project if there were any willing lead devs and/or artists.
Good luck with C++ by the way! (If only ruby had the speed of C :D )
-
(if that wiki is right, we won't have to do a thing!)
C++ is fun!
Really fun..
-
done with intro to C++, now more C++ :)
I still feel like a C++ newbie though when I was looking at the source code bilal worked on (though I did notice some potential memory leaks)
-
@nainnad Haha, yeah I don't use C++, I'd believe it. Now that I think about it, I remember leaving some listeners subscribed. Oops!
-