I need help installing machines on W10
I've downloaded everything but I am technoglically inept... Please respond here with some contact information so I can get some help... when I click on the start icon I get an error saying
Failed to select minimum resolution (640x480x16bit colour)
I don't know why this is happening, maybe i'm missing something simple? Please help!! i'd love to play this game again.
M123 last edited by M123
That error could be caused by a few different things:
- graphics driver / monitor not making that resolution available to Machines
- Windows or hardware compatibility issues preventing the game starting correctly
1. Change the Machines resolution settings in the Windows registry
(I don't have a PC running Windows 10 available to test this on at the moment, hopefully this hasn't changed too much since Windows 7)
Method A - (hopefully) easy mode
I made a .reg file which should change the resolution Machines uses to 1024x768 (in-game and in menus):
- Download this file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1YCSlkNSMaSZXNtZW5McEhwaE0
Click the download button in the top-right corner and save the file to your desktop.
- Double-click the
- When asked if you want to continue, read the warning, then click Yes (*)
- Run Machines.
If you want, you can delete the
(*) You can check what settings a .reg file modifies by right-clicking on it and clicking "Edit" - worth doing if you're not sure you can trust the source of the file.
Method B - manual mode
If you don't trust the .reg file I linked to above, or if you want/need to set a different resolution via the registry:
- Click in the search box on the Windows taskbar and type "regedit", then click on the
- Navigate through the registry by double-clicking the keys or clicking the dropdown arrows
HKEY_CURRENT_USER → Software → Acclaim Entertainment → Machines → Screen Resolution
- There should be three values here:
If they are not present you can create them:
3a. Right-click in the blank space on the right side below
(Default), move the mouse cursor over "New", then click "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
3b. Name the new value
3c. Repeat for
- Right-click on a value, then click "Modify...". In the dialog box that appears, change the Base to Decimal each time:
Lock Resolution, change the "Value data" to
Width, change the "Value data" to
Height, change the "Value data" to
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Run Machines.
If the game runs after this step, you may be able to change the resolution through the in-game options menu - try setting it to match your native monitor resolution.
Note: resolutions over 2000 pixels wide might not work. 1920x1080 is the highest I can test currently.
2. Install dgVoodoo 2
If the above fix didn't work or you experience graphical glitches and/or poor performance - or you just want Machines to look a bit nicer...
Try the instructions here: http://wiredforwar.org/topic/77/machines-and-windows-10/14
Hey man! thanks so much for your help. So I did the first step and the game actually turned on!! I was so stoked, but then the program asked me to download something, so I downloaded what ever it was.. some windows program... and it disappeared into the background. I managed to open it through the task manager but when I got into the game where ever I dragged the mouse the image would distort and when I clicked on play it asked me to insert disc 2.
so I deleted my entire machines file and I'm starting from square one. I'll let you know how it goes.