OpenMachines - Roadmap / Download
-
Hi all,
Here's a quick roadmap for the version of OpenMachines I'm creating. Goal here is to enable developers to continue working on it in the far far future. To enable this, I want to build a ready-to-eat development pack that you can download and work on.
Milestone 1 - All models in UE4, skinned & merged (Note: not animated)
This will make the game really visible and nice to look at. Plus, it's crappy work to have to skin all the textures & such. I want to provide a OpenMachines download that's ready-to-go for anybody that wants to start building.Milestone 2 - All buildings are buildable via GUI
This means that the simple game-mechanics work. Since I'm using a template, harvesting resources & such is already handled. Completing this means I will be able to create Machine City.Milestone 3 - Add all units to UE4, skinned
Not looking forward to this. I also can't animate, so I will stick to wheels, tracks, fly and hover. Sorry reapers :(Future Milestones:
- Create nice maps
- Menu's
- Shooting
- Other colors (Green, Yellow, Blue)
- AI
- First Person Controls (If any)
- Change resource types
Download latest project here:
http://download.wiredforwar.org/Template/Machines v0.1.rar -
-
Screwed something up when deleting materials, so I will have to redo all that later. (I basically deleted the data regarding where each skin should be located. Very useful and hours of work to redo. It will be faster to just reimport all model with the right data in there. Until then, I'm going to work on the GUI
-
Alright. Today I worked on the GUI and the mechanism of building.
Planning to leave the textures as is, since I can edit them later anyway.
Currently running into some shitty situation with 3Dmodels not being centered which causes them to be built in a location they should not be built. Meh.
Alright, now I want to finish the GUI because it annoys me
-
@Judas Nice work! As for the models not being centered, you should be able to change the origin to their bottom center in Blender or other 3D software, should make their position based on that origin in Unreal.
-
Can't help in the slightest but I love seeing that someone's still working on OpenMachines. Great Job!
-
-
You can send me Litecoin if you want :p
-
So, today it took me quite an embarrassingly amount of time to get the functionality of opening up the Construction menu after clicking the 'Construction' command.
But yeah, now I got it. I have not yet found a way to reset the menu to the 'Commands' menu after placing a building or right-clicking. Right now it goes back straight into the 'Construction' menu (like a toggle has been set)
Now I have a 'Cancel' button that takes you back manually to the 'Commands' menu, but still, eh. I need it to reset to the start.
Hopefully I won't get slower returns now I'm reaching the limits of either:
- The extremely limited knowledge I have
- What the design of this blueprint/template allows.
I think I'm beginning to see major flaws in the design of the template, but we'll see.
PS: I'm really, REALLY effing amazed that there are NO GOOD RTS TEMPLATES ready-to-buy in the UE4 Marketplace. It's so focussed on FPS. Is there nobody with knowledge that thought 'Perhaps a Warcraft 3-Style Menu would really sell?'
-
-
@Judas nice! I'm guessing you're a software developer? Seems like everyone from the original forums went into the software field