HOW TO PLAY MACHINES MULTIPLAYER ONLINE/OVER THE INTERNET WITH FRIENDS (2019)
radwic last edited by
I understand this might exist already, however there was some stuff I had to come across elsewhere, and there isn't really a step-by-step guide with all of the details, so I just wanted to put this guide together.
- Get Machines, duh: http://wiredforwar.org/topic/2/how-to-get-up-and-running (for best performance I usually play on 640x480)
- Download Hamachi, and have whoever you're playing with download it. Create a network and have them join it.
- Download IPXWrapper: http://www.solemnwarning.net/ipxwrapper/
- Open the .zip file you get, and drag the following files into your ROOT Machines folder (where machines.exe and all of the other files are): wsock32.dll, mswsock.dll, ipxwrapper.dll, dpwsockx.dll.
- If you have a 64 bit computer, run directplay-win64.reg found in the ipxwrapper .zip (if you have a 32 bit computer, run directplay-win32.reg)
- Open ipxconfig.exe and set Primary interface to "LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter", and under "Network adapters" select "LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter" and make sure the "Enable interface" checkbox is checked. Hit "Apply."
- Open Machines, go to Multiplayer, and select "IPX Connection for Direct Play," select "Create game," and create the game.
Your friends should now be able to select "IPX Connection for Direct Play," and see your game (if not, remember to have them select "Show Games").
Hopefully this was able to help people, and hopefully NightDive Studios remakes Machines so it's easier ;)
bilal last edited by bilal
I'm not sure what system you're running on but I've played quite a few multiplayer games without some of these steps. Note that I've always played on Windows 7 as I've found performance problems I haven't been able to get past on Windows8/10.
I've never needed to install IPX Wrapper as we just used the Direct IP option (can't remember the full title of the option at the moment); is there an advantage to using IPX rather than the Direct IP/LAN via Hamachi?
Also note, this game works over LAN if I recall correctly without any third party software.