Getting things done.
-
What do we want? Why are we here?
Some are here because of nostalgia. Others simply like the game. But the main purpose, what actually made us gather is the idea, the hope, that someday MACHINES will face towards the sunlight again. A new era for real time strategy, tactics... but most of all, stories. The concepts brought by this game are far more advanced than most of the works of fiction that reign the market nowadays.
Von Newmann probes, AI, Terraforming and much more! These were presented by MACHINES before any of the games that we see today.
But, how are we going to achieve this?
We need to get organized.
My proposal is the following: dividing our activities in "departments". Each one with a specific set of functions. Together, they would form a gestalt. And everyone would specialize. Of course, I'm not intending to replace the fun with work! But, if we get organized, and if we set goals, we will get things done, faster.
So, how can we do this? Simple, we don't need to change the current format. We just need to add new groups appart from the moderators. So, if you want to see the concept art, no problem! Just go to the art group! Want to look for coding, game mechanics, user interface? Go to the engineering group! Want to submit your ideas for the storyline, a new campaig, a trailer, or cutscenes? Checkout the screenplay/screenwriting group! -
Any suggestions?
-
Yup, we could make server protection department(s) so when we make OpenMachines, we'll already have someone checking around.
-
@Pisarz
Yup, groups are a good idea. Of course I think anyone who wants to help shouldn't have trouble at the moment. I've set stuff up for any programmers that would want to help on github, anyway. When the project gets farther, more people would be interested in helping as they'll see something in the game rather than just talk about wanting to make one. Anyway if things go as planned, I'll probably finish at least the RTS frame-working of the game in the summer.BTW, I'll be busy working on something until halfway through May, but I'll be back on OM afterward.
-
@Encrypted
@bilal
Awesome! Let's wait and see what the other members think about this. I haven't seen much activity lately.I'll do some research about servers and look at Github as well.
-
@Pisarz
Yeah we probably will start with community hosted servers and move on to a master server with accounts and matchmaking if the project gets that far.
I'll make sure to distribute a server app once I start looking at multiplayer (after all RTS fundamentals are done) -
@bilal
Great! It's good to have those skills. I am not good for coding, nor anything of the sort. But that's the idea behind specialization right? Anyway, 3D rendering is what I am aiming at, as well as filmmaking and writing. But some basic coding wouldn't do any harm. -
Well, that's great. Seems like we're getting organized, and soon, we'll just get the job done!
Also, @Pisarz , making animations would be really good (especially with new objects'n'stuff).
-
@Encrypted
Well, Blender can be useful for that, but I don't know if it is compatible with Unreal Engine 4. -
@Pisarz
It is!Actually I've been doing a lot of blender work recently as part of my current project. Can't wait to use it for machines stuff!
-
@bilal
Excellent!