Machines and Windows 10
-
Machines will live on.
-
Anyone had any luck trying what I posted?
-
Not lucky (yet). I just tried it and the game won't open after putting both .dll files in the directory. An error message appears and that's it. Also, I noticed that I already have a "native" .dll file in the game's directory (it's another one, or at least it has a different name).
-
Hey M123 I tried ur instructions, and holy crap it WORKED!! I came back to write this real quick, and now Im off to go play!! thanks a million. I had tried a BUNCH of different ways to make this game work, and now it finally does, thanks alot.
-
@Pisarz
Were there any specific details in the error message, or was it just one of those vague "machines.exe has stopped working and needs to close" errors?The existing .dll file might be d3drm.dll ? I think it's needed for the game to run normally, and didn't seem to conflict with dgVoodoo.
@Maxamillios
Yay, have fun :-) -
@M123
I'm still working on it. As soon as I try everything I can I'll post anything useful. Also, indeed, that's the file I was talking about. -
@Pisarz
Good luck, hope you can get it working.
I noticed a few extra benefits of dgVoodoo that make it worth using on earlier versions of Windows as well - with it installed Machines is displayed in 32-bit colour mode instead of 16-bit, and you can force bilinear/trilinear texture filtering for all textures (through the dgVoodooSetup utility).
Comparison images (ignore FRAPS counter):
Native DirectX
dgVoodoo32-bit colour massively improves the appearance of terrain and sky textures (especially darker colours / at night) by reducing banding.
Forced texture filtering reduces the jagged appearance of distant / angled textures and smooths over certain textures which Machines usually renders with nearest-neighbour sampling. This causes slight distortion of some transparent textures (e.g. autocannon turret barrels) and parts of the interface. I think the trade-off is worth it - especially if someone makes higher-resolution versions of the affected transparent textures (which would reduce the visible distortion).NOTE: If you use dgVoodoo 2 2.55 or later with forced texture filtering, set the "Videocard" under the DirectX tab to one of the GeForce cards to avoid pink outlines on some transparent textures (gun barrels, etc.)
-
Ok.So I installed machines on my Windows 10 laptop and have the fps issues. Downloaded the voodoo thing and now the game runs fine, but there are no textures...
-
Ok, I think we can now safely conclude that the original Machines Wired for War is definitely not future-proof. For anyone who may not have seen it, I believe that the creator of the Machinima series "Freeman's Mind" released an episode of his "Game Dungeon" covering a game called Dungeon Siege. In the episode, one of the most important quotes early on that came to mind on this topic was:
"This is another one of those weird games where a system from ten years ago runs it better than a modern one does today... Stuff like this is why I always get paranoid about changing an OS. This sort of thing ALWAYS happens with a new operating system. Sometimes there are fixes, sometimes you're screwed. It's also why I sometimes feel like punching people who think NEW software is always better. Doesn't matter what it breaks; it's new!"
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsR3qZp3-M
So yeah, it looks like I'm hyped for OpenMachines as that will bring the compatibility back to Windows 10, instead of waiting for it to arrive. Regardless, I'm sticking with windows 7 for a while.
-
@Mordakai95
Press the "S" ;)
http://www.machinesthegame.co.uk/Don't worry, we'll rebuild Eden 4:
-
wow m123, I wasn't able to play the game since the screen would constantly flicker but that really fixed the problem!
-
@nainnad said:
wow m123, I wasn't able to play the game since the screen would constantly flicker but that really fixed the problem!
Glad it helped :-)
-
dgVoodoo was updated last month, might be worth trying the new version 2.5 if the previous one didn't work for you.
May improve performance compared to 2.45.EDIT: version 2.51 released, bugfixes and some new features
@Mordakai95 said:
Dungeon Siege.
...aaand now I'm playing it again >_>
Complex shadows annihilate my framerate just like in the video.
Simple shadows? 120 FPS+ (Vsync on, 8x MSAA)
Complex? 20 - 60 FPS (relatively smooth with just the player character on-screen, becomes much worse with enemies or multiple party members) :-/Another game with a weird graphical OS compatibility problem is Far Cry - apparently land water reflections don't render on operating systems newer than Windows XP, so only trees, objects and buildings are reflected.
-
I had pink artifacts on my Win 10 system, but the DGvoodoo fix above worked for me. Now I have a fully working brilliant game!
-
@M123 Thanks for the update!
Solved my problem! I applied the compatibility mode for Windos 98, but with one of the new .dll files. Now the game runs almost smooth (perfect gameplay).
-
@M123 You are the man, this worked for me. Ive waited years to play this game again. Thank you so much.
-
dgvoodo is the worst glide wrapper around and not compatible with machines because it uses direct 3d only. anybody that say otherwise is trolling. it works well in windows 10 at least in multiplayer but have trouble running on amd cards just like it had trouble running on ati cards. (pink artifacts appear when entering the options menu but avoiding it solved the problem for me.). it was never made fully compatible with ati cards. best solution to getting it working is to use an nvidia card as that cause neither frame rate issues nor graphics issues(except the newer ones).
-
So I just tried the DgVoodoo solution and it essentially worked- but with a small drawback.
Unlike Machines without DgVoodoo, which runs smoothly at 144fps (on, of course, my 144hz monitor) the framerate is now capped to a 60hz input. There is also a DgVoodoo watermark in the corner, but that's kinda whatever.
-
@Asdam If you run the
dgVoodooSetup.exe
program included in thedgVoodoo2_53.zip
archive, you can change settings to fix those issues:-
Run
dgVoodooSetup.exe
(located in C:\Games\dgVoodoo\ if you followed my instructions from earlier in this thread) -
In the General tab, check the
Enumerate refresh rates
checkbox. -
In the DirectX tab, uncheck the
dgVoodoo Watermark
checkbox. -
Try running Machines.
-
If Machines still doesn't run at the desired refresh rate, try forcing the desired resolution / refresh rate using the
Resolution
drop-down box under the DirectX tab.(If you force a resolution different to the resolution selected in-game, you might encounter various issues. If the mouse cursor is constrained to a small area in the top-left corner of the screen, try unchecking the
Capture mouse
checkbox in the General tab of dgVoodooSetup.)
The resolution forcing functionality in dgVoodooSetup can also be used to run Machines at higher resolutions than it would normally support - for example, if you wanted to run at 3840x2160 (either native or using something like Nvidia DSR):
- Run Machines normally and set 1920x1080 resolution in-game.
- Run
dgVoodooSetup.exe
- In the General tab, uncheck the
Capture mouse
checkbox. - In the DirectX tab, select 3840x2160 resolution in the
Resolution
drop-down box - Run Machines
Machines running at 3840x2160 :D
The resolution selected in-game determines the size of the UI and the aspect ratio.
The UI may appear pixelated, but all 3D elements should be rendered at the forced resolution. -
-
@M123 Thanks much, worked perfectly! ...maybe I should read the full set of instructions next time ;) Gonna go annihilate that campaign now!
On a side-note, your name looks familiar (as well as a few members of the new WFW forum), were you around on the original forum?