Machines and Windows 10
-
@M123 You are the man, this worked for me. Ive waited years to play this game again. Thank you so much.
-
dgvoodo is the worst glide wrapper around and not compatible with machines because it uses direct 3d only. anybody that say otherwise is trolling. it works well in windows 10 at least in multiplayer but have trouble running on amd cards just like it had trouble running on ati cards. (pink artifacts appear when entering the options menu but avoiding it solved the problem for me.). it was never made fully compatible with ati cards. best solution to getting it working is to use an nvidia card as that cause neither frame rate issues nor graphics issues(except the newer ones).
-
So I just tried the DgVoodoo solution and it essentially worked- but with a small drawback.
Unlike Machines without DgVoodoo, which runs smoothly at 144fps (on, of course, my 144hz monitor) the framerate is now capped to a 60hz input. There is also a DgVoodoo watermark in the corner, but that's kinda whatever.
-
@Asdam If you run the
dgVoodooSetup.exe
program included in thedgVoodoo2_53.zip
archive, you can change settings to fix those issues:-
Run
dgVoodooSetup.exe
(located in C:\Games\dgVoodoo\ if you followed my instructions from earlier in this thread) -
In the General tab, check the
Enumerate refresh rates
checkbox. -
In the DirectX tab, uncheck the
dgVoodoo Watermark
checkbox. -
Try running Machines.
-
If Machines still doesn't run at the desired refresh rate, try forcing the desired resolution / refresh rate using the
Resolution
drop-down box under the DirectX tab.(If you force a resolution different to the resolution selected in-game, you might encounter various issues. If the mouse cursor is constrained to a small area in the top-left corner of the screen, try unchecking the
Capture mouse
checkbox in the General tab of dgVoodooSetup.)
The resolution forcing functionality in dgVoodooSetup can also be used to run Machines at higher resolutions than it would normally support - for example, if you wanted to run at 3840x2160 (either native or using something like Nvidia DSR):
- Run Machines normally and set 1920x1080 resolution in-game.
- Run
dgVoodooSetup.exe
- In the General tab, uncheck the
Capture mouse
checkbox. - In the DirectX tab, select 3840x2160 resolution in the
Resolution
drop-down box - Run Machines
Machines running at 3840x2160 :D
The resolution selected in-game determines the size of the UI and the aspect ratio.
The UI may appear pixelated, but all 3D elements should be rendered at the forced resolution. -
-
@M123 Thanks much, worked perfectly! ...maybe I should read the full set of instructions next time ;) Gonna go annihilate that campaign now!
On a side-note, your name looks familiar (as well as a few members of the new WFW forum), were you around on the original forum?
-
-
Not (currently / directly) Machines-related, but the creator of dgVoodoo, Dege, recently posted this:
I have an announcement:
This week I became affiliated with Good Old Games which means that GoG can now utilize dgVoodoo2 for their game releases.Bodes well for future pre-DirectX 9 game releases on GOG.com.
-
@M123 said:
Tried Machines on a PC running Windows 10 (haven't updated mine from 7 yet), and wow, that is bad - messed up menu and textures, and very poor performance even on an i5 4690k and GTX970 (running at 640x480 D: ).
Tried a few different things... and found something that seems to work - dgVoodoo 2.
EDIT: Note - dgVoodoo 2 requires DirectX 11 and a GPU supporting at least DirectX feature level 10.1:
• Nvidia GeForce 400-series and newer (some GeForce 200-series might work - G210, GT220, GT240)
• ATi (AMD) Radeon HD 3000-series (except Radeon HD 3410) and newer
• Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newerHere's what I did:
-
Download dgVoodoo 2.53 from here.
-
Extract it somewhere (e.g. C:\Games\dgVoodoo\).
-
Copy the "D3DImm.dll" and "DDraw.dll" located in the "MS" folder under the folder you extracted the dgVoodoo 2 archive to (e.g. C:\Games\dgVoodoo\MS\).
-
Paste the two .dll files in your Machines install directory - must be the same folder as "machines.exe" (e.g. C:\Games\Machines\).
-
Run Machines.
-
(a). If the image is too bright, washed out, etc. or you want to try forcing some extra graphical settings (e.g. MSAA, Vsync), run "dgVoodooSetup.exe" located in the folder you extracted the dgVoodoo 2 archive to (eg. C:\Games\dgVoodoo\) and try out the various settings.
(b). If Machines crashes or runs even worse than before, delete the "D3DImm.dll" and "DDraw.dll" files from your Machines install directory to restore it to the original state.
With dgVoodoo 2 installed I could run Machines fairly smoothly (some rough patches, but I get those on Windows 7 as well) at 1920x1080 without graphical issues (at least none I noticed in the time I could test it). :-)
Seemed to work fine without Windows 95 / 98 / XP compatibility mode.
The game crashes on exit on that PC (with or without dgVoodoo 2).EDIT: some things to try if Machines doesn't run properly with dgVoodoo 2 installed:
- Install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
- Make sure Machines is installed in a folder other than "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)".
- Run Machines as administrator
- Run without any compatibility modes applied (aside from run as administrator)
- If you use MSAA through dgVoodooSetup.exe and get weird graphical issues ('smearing", blurring, flickering), make sure you don't have any transparency multi-/super-sampling forced on Machines through your graphics drivers
Just followed your steps. The game boots up but now it crashes at loading screen with memory access error.
-
-
@ZemoBladeWalker said:
Just followed your steps. The game boots up but now it crashes at loading screen with memory access error.
Hmm... so far I've found 3 possible causes for memory access errors on loading screens:
-
less than 32MB of VRAM allocated under the DirectX tab in
dgVoodooSetup.exe
(dgVoodoo 2.53) /dgVoodooCpl.exe
(dgVoodoo 2.54) - I suggest setting this to at least 64MB (higher values may be useful if running at a very high resolution or if someone makes a high-resolution texture pack) -
Videocard set to "dgVoodoo Virtual SVGA Card" under the DirectX tab in
dgVoodooSetup.exe
(dgVoodoo 2.54 onwards) - set it to "dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card" or one of the GeForce cards. -
texture(s) in unsupported formats in the models folder (seems unlikely in this case)
I'll keep trying different things.
Were you able to get in-game before you installed dgVoodoo 2?
What graphics card and operating system are you using? -
-
@M123 said:
@ZemoBladeWalker said:
Hmm... so far I've found 3 possible causes for memory access errors on loading screens:
-
less than 32MB of VRAM allocated under the DirectX tab in
dgVoodooSetup.exe
(dgVoodoo 2.54) - I suggest setting this to at least 64MB (higher values may be useful if running at a very high resolution or if someone makes a high-resolution texture pack) -
Videocard set to "dgVoodoo Virtual SVGA Card" under the DirectX tab in
dgVoodooSetup.exe
(dgVoodoo 2.54) - set it to "dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card". -
texture(s) in unsupported formats in the models folder (seems unlikely in this case)
I'll keep trying different things.
Were you able to get in-game before you installed dgVoodoo 2?
What graphics card and operating system are you using?I am on Windows 10 64bit and using Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti. I gave 521 VRAM and I use dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card. Still crashes with exact same error. I wasn't ever able to get to loading screen before using dfVoodoo 2. Also I'm not using any texture packs or any modifications (expect from windows XP patch)
-
-
@M123 Thank for this, it works
-
I just downloaded the zipped game, extracted and and ran it on my W10 Laptop.
It just worked! No fix or patch required.
No errors, no glitches! I'm actually pleasantly surprised!
-
Hello all,
I've am able to run the game with the XP patch and smooth with dgVoodooCpl but all the surface textures (except the interface and map) are now white. Not really the full game experience.
Anyone know any particulat settings of dgVoodooCpl that could fix this?
https://ibb.co/GFqCfGMThanks!
-
@calep have you tried Machines 1.5? Or are you attempting to run the original? Check out the thread here: https://wiredforwar.org/topic/167/announcing-community-patch-1-5-godsend
-
Hi @hayden.
About my problem: i fixed it but changing the in-game setting back to the default "Automatic". I'm so glad it works!
Checking out the 1.5 thread. Thank you.
Also joined the discord.