Got it working on Windows 10!
-
I downloaded both CD's from here:
http://wiredforwar.org/topic/14/machines-the-game/2
Then I installed XP Patch (Select the Machines folder as the place to install) and then downloaded the .dll and placed it it in the Machines folder.
Then had to set some options in the settings menu, because I was seeing pink on places that should be transparant.
AND DONE! GOT IT!
-
Nice! I've also got it working on Windows 10 before, but I had terrible performance issues. How's your performance?
-
I've been playing on windows 10 for a while now, never encountered any issues.
-
Mine gets stuck on loading, also using windows 10. I downloaded the iso filed on this website because the CDs were displaying an error when installing.
I don't know what else to try... Should I try that voodoo thing?
Edit: I got it working, just have that options issue thing now and some performance issue, particularly in fps. WIll now try dgVoodoo and see how it fares.
-
@Flopshel said:
Edit: I got it working, just have that options issue thing now and some performance issue, particularly in fps. WIll now try dgVoodoo and see how it fares.
Any idea what fixed the stuck on loading / crash on start issue? Might help some of the other users with similar issues.
dgVoodoo 2 should help with FPS issues related to Windows 8 - 10.
In some situations the game may still stutter a bit - day/night transitions in particular are a bit rough for me. -
@M123 Right, sorry. The stuck on loading was caused due to DirectPlay install prompt. I kept pressing install but postponing PC restart and it caused some issues. I was reluctant to restart because a Windows update came up, so yeah, restarting for DirectPlay install seems to be mandatory.
As for my experience with dgvoodoo, here it goes:
-
Running without dgvoodoo causes severe performance issues and pink texture (and eventually crash) upon going into the Options. First Person was basically impossible to cope with.
-
Then I installed dgvoodoo 2 (most recent build, 2.55) and placed copies of the dll files on the machines folder. The game became MUCH smoother, perfectly so in fact. However, I started running into game freezes a couple of seconds (but only video, the sound effects keep playing), sometimes minutes into a game, depending on the amount of units in combat (I experimented in campaign and also scenarios). I fiddled with dgvoodoo, particularly the videocard and VRAM options but the issue remained.
-
Finally, and my present set up. I'm running dgvoodoo2 but without the .dll files inside the machines folder. The performance is okay but not as good as with the .dll files and I'm not experiencing crashes/freezing.
Also, I'm running in compatibility mode with XP pack 3, but without it it's the same. Besides that one, no other checkbox changes anything, although windows keeps forcing the DPI scaling compatibility option.
-
-
-
@Warharvest_ hello.for me its launching but the game kept interrupting, crash and lag while playing.any suggestion please?
-
@yash Explain what version have you installed and have you applied the XP patch, dgVoodoo (what version) and other fixes people have mentioned here ? It is hard to help if you don't give any useful information yourself.